Fundamentals of Biology I
Course #: SC 141
Class/Lab Hours: 3, 2
This course is designed primarily for the student not enrolled in the LAS: Science program. This general biology course serves as an introduction covering the sphere of life, its origin, diversity and interrelationships with the environment, the language of life and the transmission of information and the evolution of life. This study emphasizes the unifying themes that support the network of life and the scientific process through scientific inquiry. Students may not receive credit for both this course and SC 155.
This course is Internet accessible and may be completed entirely online. Learn how!
Check the availability of the course.
Course Requirements »
*Below are requirements for taking this course through the Internet Academy.
In order to take this course, you MUST have the following:
1. Microsoft Word
2. Microsoft Powerpoint
3. Access to a scanning bed AND the ability to scan items and save them into files successfully; you can also upload pictures from digital cameras or camera phones
4. At least one additional paperback novel (to be purchased during the course)
5. This course requires the use of a BK-SC141 lab kit which is
purchased directly online at http://www.AtHomeScience.com - they will help you apply any financial aid you have at the time of the purchase
6. This course requires a microscope with at least a 600X total magnification. This can be purchased directly from AtHomeScience.com along with the kit, or you are free to acquire a microscope that meets the expected standards from another source (i.e. a rental, borrowed from a school, purchased on eBay).
7. NON-Financial Aid, non-matriculated students must order their lab kits
directly from http://www.AtHomeScience.com (BK-SC 141).
8. Financial Aid students must order their kits through the HCCC Bookstore.
***Please be aware that you will need to purchase extra materials from a drugstore or Walmart to participate in the lab portion of this course as well.