Apply » Admissions » FAQs


What information do I need to submit to be accepted?

In addition to the admissions application, you will need to submit an official high school transcript, or copy of the GED certificate, or copy of the TASC certificate.  If you have college credit you would like to transfer to Herkimer College, you must request an official transcript be sent from each college you have attended. An official copy of your transcript will need to be mailed directly to us.

High school transcripts should be sent to:

Herkimer College
Attn: Admissions
100 Reservoir Road
Herkimer, NY 13350

College transcripts may be sent to the same address but to the attention of the Registrar.

When is the application deadline?

Applications for Spring 2014 are now closed. 

We are currently accepting Applications for Fall 2014. Please complete our free application.

Do I need SAT’s and ACT’s?

No. These are optional, but depending on your score, you may be exempt from the placement exam.

I previously attended Herkimer College.  Do I need to reapply to come back?

If you have attended within the past three years, please call the Admissions Office.  If it has been three years or more since you last attended, please complete a Request to Return.

How do I change my major?

If you are a new student and have not yet attended classes, you may call the Admissions Office to change your major.  If you are a returning student, or have already registered for classes, please visit Change Major page.

I receive special accommodations in high school.  Can I receive the same at Herkimer?

Students with a documented disability should submit current documentation to determine if they are eligible to receive special accommodations. You must request and send your IEP, 504, psycho-educational evaluation, and any applicable medical records to our Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities. Please note that high school records are not automatically forwarded without your consent. These documents should be sent to:  Herkimer College, Attn: Leslie Cornish, 100 Reservoir Road, Herkimer, NY 13350.

What are your admission requirements?

In order to be accepted into a degree or certificate program at Herkimer College you need to meet the following admissions requirements:

Herkimer County Residents:

  • Possess a high school diploma from a public or New York State Education Registered non-public high school or
  • Possess a GED or TASC or
  • Completion of the equivalent of a four-year high school course of study (home schooled) under the requirements of Section 100.10 of the Regulations of the Commissioner of Education, as certified by the superintendent of the school district in which the student resides.

Applicants Outside Herkimer County:

  • Have a final high school GPA of 68 or higher or
  • GED score of 2400 or more
  • TASC score of 2666 or more

Possible alternatives to this admissions requirement (to be granted as a conditional acceptance):

  • Scoring 500 or more on each of the English and Math sections of the SAT or
  • Scoring a 21 or higher composite score on the ACT or 
  • Transferring six or more college credits with a minimum 2.0 GPA

The College reserves the right to review other admissions criteria for out-of-county students.

How do I get to Herkimer?

Personal Vehicle:

Public Transportation:

  • Bus: Greyhound and Adirondack Trailways will make stops at Union Station in Utica.  Students may opt to take a taxi or the regional bus (Birnie Bus) to the village of Herkimer.  The regional bus will drop you off in Downtown Herkimer. Many students opt to take a short cab ride from the drop off location to the college.
  • Amtrak: Union station in Utica is the nearest train station. Again, students may opt to take a taxi or the regional bus (Birnie Bus) to the village of Herkimer.  The regional bus will drop you off in Downtown Herkimer. Many students opt to take a short cab ride from the drop off location to the college.
  • Taxi: Click here for a listing of local taxi companies.

Do I need to take a Placement Test?

Placement testing in math, writing, and reading comprehension is required of all new full-time students before registering for classes. ACCUPLACER computerized tests are given for math and reading comprehension.

Placement Testing Waivers:
The placement test requirement or specific sections of the test may be waived if you meet one of the following criteria:

  • High school average of 88 or above 
  • SAT: 500 minimum on individual sub-tests (reading, writing and math) 
  • ACT: Composite score of 21 or above 
  • Satisfactory ACCUPLACER test scores from the past two years 
  • Transfer credit: College level English and/or math, with a grade of C or above. 
  • College Now: Completed courses with a grade of C or above.

You should submit all official test results to the Admissions Office and all official transcripts to the Registrar’s Office at least TWO weeks in advance to allow for determination of waiver.

Read more about Placement Testing.

How long is the Placement Test?

For students who are taking the full placement test it takes the average student takes approximately 90 minutes to complete the computerized exam.

What do I need to bring to the Placement Test?

You simply need to bring a photo ID and know your social security number.  No need for pens, pencils or calculators as the test is held online.

Can I receive special accomodations for my Placement Exam?

If you have a documented disability, you may be eligible for alternative placement testing accommodations. To receive such accommodations, you must request and send current documentation (includes IEP, 504 Plan, most recent psycho-educational evaluation and any applicable medical records) to the Services for Students with Disabilities Office. Please note that high school records are not automatically forwarded without your consent. All documentation must be received one month in advance to allow for review.

Students requesting alternative testing accommodations should contact the Services for Students with Disabilities office at 315-866-0300 x8331 prior to scheduling a placement test reservation.

What does matriculated student mean?

A matriculated student has applied for admission and is enrolled in a degree or certificate.

Only matriculated students may:

  • apply for financial aid or scholarships 
  • be assigned an academic advisor 
  • earn a degree or certificate