International Student Health Insurance
GeoBlue® has been contracted by the State University of New York (SUNY) to provide health insurance to you while in the United States and abroad. Benefits are subject to change. Please go directly to the GeoBlue® Web-site for current insurance plan details.
All F-1 international students and scholars are required by SUNY to have health insurance during their stay at Herkimer College. Unless you have provided The Student Account's Office with proof of your own health insurance coverage that is comparable to GeoBlue®, health insurance costs will automatically be added to your bill each semester.
It is necessary to have health insurance because the cost for health care services in the United States can be very expensive. If you require medical attention, it is important you are able to receive the proper attention without accumulating a large amount of out-of-pocket expenses.
Insurance Plan Coverage
- 100% Coverage for illness and injury up to a maximum of $400,000 per illness or injury after a $50 per injury or illness deductible (deductible waived with Student Health Center referral).
- Prescriptions paid at 100% after a co-pay of $10 for generic and $20 for brand name drugs.
- Medical Insurance ID Card must be presented to pharmacy at time of purchase.
- 100% Coverage of reasonable expenses for vaccinations required by Participating Organization or Institution (MMR, Meningitis, HPV, and Influenza).
- Medical Evacuation up to $1,000,000.
- Repatriation of remains up to $50,000.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment benefit of up to $10,000.
- Maternity Care.
- Inpatient and Outpatient Mental Health Care.
- Bedside Visit Benefit of up to $5,000.
- This plan provides full policy benefits everywhere in the world except in your country of origin. In the participant’s country of origin, only medical treatment up to $5000 is covered (if not covered by another plan).
Health Insurance Card
You must present your insurance card to the off-campus medical provider(s), which you can print off of the GeoBlue® website. Without your card or insurance information, you will be billed for the services provided.
Have your own health insurance?
To use your own health insurance you must determine if it meets SUNY guidelines. You may file a foreign health insurance waiver with Debra Sutliff in the Student Account's office. Attach a copy of your insurance card front and back, along with the effective and termination dates and description of your benefits. You will also need to provide a letter from your insurance company (in English) that certifies you are covered for international travel, in addition to proof of medical evacuation and repatriation.
Your documentation will be reviewed, and if it is deemed comparable, you will have effectively waived out of the SUNY International Insurance Program. Be aware of any applicable deadlines.
Visit https://geobluestudents.com/ to log in to your GeoBlue® account.
Questions or concerns, contact:
GeoBlue Insurance Services
Phone: 1-844-268-2686 (toll-free inside the U.S.)
1-610-263-2847 (outside the U.S.)
Herkimer College – Bursar