Financial Assistance for Child Care – Are You Eligible?
Pursuing a community college education can have an amazing impact on a family’s financial well-being, but paying for childcare can sometimes be a problem. If you want to attend college, but don’t know if you can afford child care, financial assistance may be available for you.
The SUNY child care subsidy program is available for SUNY students with children who are both:
- Eligible for the program, and
- Eligible based on their financial situation.
The goal of this program is to provide support for struggling student-parents so that they can obtain a college degree and secure employment that will enable them to support themselves and their children.
To maintain eligibility, the student-parent must demonstrate his or her ability to successfully complete the course of study and must maintain satisfactory progress.
- Students must be attending classes during the hours when the child care center is in operation. Online classes and evening classes are not eligible.
- If another custodial parent is available while the other parent is attending classes, subsidies cannot be utilized.
- Hours of care should be directly related to the hours the parent is involved in classes or activities that are required to a completion of a degree. One exception is if a student's combined hours of attending classes and working equal 30 hours or more as long as the hours of work and classes are during the hours when the center is in operation.
Financial Eligibility Income Eligibility Guidelines June 2013-May 2014
- The gross family income must be at or below 200% of the State Income Standards – see income chart below.
- Family gross income is based on the average monthly income for a period of but not less than one month. Current pay stubs must be submitted in order to determine financial eligibility. Self-employed parents may use the most recent NYS Income Tax Return.
|Family Size 200%||State Income Standard|
For families/households with more than 8 persons, add $4020.00 for each additional person
To ask questions about eligibility or our program, contact us at 315-866-0300 x8526 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.