Institutional Assessment Plan
The mission of Institutional Assessment at Herkimer is to evaluate the efficiency of programmatic, unit, and operational goals in a comprehensive, systematic, and reliable format that demonstrates the College is effectively accomplishing its mission. The Institutional Assessment process is centrally coordinated and monitored by the Institutional Effectiveness Committee that serves to promote a campus culture of assessment and continuous improvement at all levels of the institution.
Institutional Assessment Goals
Collect, analyze, and share institutional-wide data that is used for continued institutional improvements, as well as providing evidence of how Herkimer College is fulfilling its mission and achieving its strategic goals.
Recommend new assessment processes and measurement tools.
Persistently research institutional effectiveness with the goal to remain current about the best practices in the areas of assessment, analysis, and how to use the results.
Maintain and edit, as needed, the campus-wide Institutional Assessment Plan.
The internal measures used by Herkimer College are collected from various campus-wide sources including units, academic divisions, administration, and services.
Herkimer College uses the following external assessment measures to obtain reliable information to be used for evaluating and enhancing campus-wide programs:
Campus Security Data Analysis - this information is collected by the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE). The data is acquired from the OPE Campus Security Statistics Website database. Annually, institutional crime statistics are submitted by all postsecondary institutions receiving Title IV Federal funding.
Community College Survey of Student Engagement (CCSSE) is a nationally administered survey of student's perceptions about various aspects of a particular campus. This data allows comparisons between Herkimer College and a SUNY consortium of institutions.
Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS). This is the nation's core post-secondary education data collection program. This comprehensive system is designed to compare Herkimer College data to similar institutions.
National Community College Benchmark Project (NCCBP) - this set of data provides institutional comparisons of community colleges across the country. Currently, it reports-out on 25 performance indicators.
Audited Financial Statements - The Office of the Controller has the fiduciary responsibility for Herkimer College's annual financial audits and provides fiscal information.
College Now Graduate Follow-Up Survey - This survey is administered to past concurrently enrolled students that participated in the College Now (CN) program. CN is a program that bridges high school students to the College through post-secondary curriculum taught at the high school campus. The CN program is accredited through the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP).General Education Course Assessment- Annual learning outcomes assessment of identified general education courses.
Energy Reports - Total energy used by the College is identified and reported through the Facilities Department.
Enrollment Reports - These are created monthly by the Associate Dean of Enrollment Management.
Entering Student Survey - Information attained from this measurement provides data about students working in the community and how effective is Herkimer College's marketing strategies.
Faculty-Staff Opinion Survey - This triennial survey captures faculty and staff opinions about various aspects of Herkimer College.
General Education Learning Outcome Assessments - Annually, student learning is directly assessed in core competency areas as identified by the State University of New York (SUNY).
Graduate Follow-Up Data - This gathers insights about Herkimer College graduates, their experiences with Herkimer College, and where they are in their respective careers or their continued education.
Institutional Research Data - The IR department provides accurate data for various measurable points.
Office of Student Activities Data - Extracurricular activity data that involves on-campus clubs, organizations, and events are collected from the Office of Student Activities.
Office of Community Education - Provides data centered upon facility usage by off-campus groups, non-credit course enrollment, and workforce and training development.
Student Exit Survey - This assessment provides data about the student's interpretation of and experience with HCCC and the various campus units.
Strategic Planning & Institutional Effectiveness Committee Members
- Mary Ann Carroll- Chair, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness
- Karen Ayouch, Director of Institutional Research
- Alan Cronauer, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs, BHST Division
- Richard Dawkins, Assistant Director of Athletics
- Amy Getman, Assistant Professor
- Lisa Holynksi, Office Assistant I
- Mary Jo Kelley, Professor
- Jessica Kelly, Assistant Professor
- Suzanne Paddock, Counselor Career Center Services
- William Pelz, Professor/Coordinator of Internet Academy
- Daniel Sargent, Director of Continuing Education
- Stacie Shepardson, Senior Accountant
- Rebeccah Socolof, Research Assistant
- Julie Todd, Assistant Director of Human Resources
- Jackie Woudenberg, Controller
Institutional Effectiveness Steering Team
Mary Ann Carroll- Chair, Assistant Dean of Academic Affairs, Assessment and Institutional Effectiveness
- Karen Ayouch, Director of Institutional Research
- Marjorie Moore, Co-Chair Enrollment Management & Marketing Committee; Director of ASC
- Erin Craig, Co-Chair Enrollment Management & Marketing Committee; Dean of Enrollment Management
- Rebecca Ruffing, Co-Chair Enrollment Management & Marketing Committee; Director of Public Relations
- Julie Lewis, Chair Resource Allocation Committee; Director of Business and Finance FSA, HCCC Foundation and HCCC Housing Corp.
- William Stack, Co-chair Resource Allocation Committee; Faculty
- Robert Woudenberg, Chair Facilities Committee; Director of Facilities
- John Lasher, Chair Academic Affairs and Student Affairs Committee; Registrar
- Daniel Sargent, Assistant to the President; College Advisory Council Facilitator
Planning Documents and Resources
- Institutional Effectiveness Report Card 14-15 Academic Year
- Institutional Effectiveness Report Card 13-14 Academic Year
- Institutional Learning Outcomes (ILOs)
- ILO Course Alignment Map
- ILO Results Spring 2016- Communication
- Core Values Quality Rubric
- Herkimer College Integrated Planning Model
- Institutional Effectiveness Model
- Unit Operational Plan Template 16-17
Assessment and Closing the Loop Documents
- SUNY Academic MAJOR Review Plan
- General Education Assessment Results
- Learning Outcomes Assessment Plan
- Academic MAJOR Program Review Template
- Academic MAJOR Program Review Rubric
- Academic MAJOR Mid-cycle Post Report
- Program Learning Outcomes Annual Assessment Form