Services to Help Our Students Succeed
Herkimer College ranks among the nation’s top community colleges for student success, based on our high graduation and transfer rates. Our Academic Support Services help us to achieve this. Some of the services available to help students succeed are listed below. Don’t hesitate to access any of them or reach out if you have a need!
The Academic Support Center offers a variety of services to help maximize your academic potential. All Herkimer College students are welcome at the Academic Support Center and all services are free of charge. The ASC is located on the first floor of the Ronald F. Williams Library. If you are currently a registered student, you can make an appointment for one-on-one tutoring by:
- stopping in at the ASC front desk (LB 104)
- calling 315-866-0300 x8275
- schedule an appointment online, please call 315-866-0300 x8275 with any questions
Voter Registration Information
The Herkimer College Academic Support Center and Services for Students with Disabilities Office encourage all students to register to vote in local, state and national elections. The Academic Support Center is an approved National Voter Registration Act location and can provide you with NYS voter registration forms and assistance in completing and submitting them. Visit http://www.elections.ny.gov for additional information.
Students with Disabilities (SSD)
Students must be registered with SSD to receive accommodation services. If you are a student with a documented disability that requires an accommodation contact the Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities in the SSD Office by calling 315-866-0300 x8331 or by email at SSD@herkimer.edu. The sooner you take this step, the better.
If you have already registered with SSD and have reviewed your semester accommodation plan with the Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities, it is important to next meet one-on-one with the instructor for each class in which you’ve requested an accommodation. You’ll want to be prepared to discuss your strengths and preferred learning style. Remember, getting to know your instructors is an important key to success!
- Placement Testing (including test prep): The ASC is responsible for testing all new, incoming freshmen as they begin their Herkimer College academic career.
- Academic Success Workshops: Learn strategies for success at one of our workshops. Check back often for a schedule of events.
- Collaborative Learning Space: Does your instructor require a group project this semester? Use this exciting new ASC space to allow your group to collaborate, brainstorm and produce that project more effectively. This unique area features interactive whiteboard capabilities and a fun group seating area. Bring your laptop or use one of ours - we are wireless. No reservations necessary to use this space. First come, first served!
- Computer Lab: Computers are available for student use, loaded with many of the most utilized course software applications you’ll need for your courses (and there’s always help available nearby in case you have a question).
- Learning Styles & Strengths Assessment: Find out how you learn best and what your talent profile tells you about yourself. Use this knowledge to make the most of your academic and career potential!
- Skill Improvement: Need to improve your note-taking, time management or test-taking skills? Need to learn to navigate your on-line course or specific applications needed for your class? Tutors in the ASC can help you with these important academic skills and more.
- Study Rooms for Individual or Small Group Use: All ASC rooms are wireless and available on a first come, first served basis.
Have questions about one of these services or an academic need not listed? Contact us at 315-866-0300 x8288 or request information.