IRS Form 1098-T Information and Education Tax Credits
They can be retrieved at ECSI Tax Documents, the servicer for Herkimer College’s tax credit reporting.
From there, you can read about the Education Tax Credits for which you may be eligible when you file your federal income taxes. You may also view and reprint your personal IRS form 1098T and supplementary financial information that are sent to you by January 31 each year. These forms will assist you in preparing your federal income tax return.
Herkimer College is unable to provide you with individual tax advice. If you have questions, please seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or adviser.
Change for 2018:
In years prior to calendar 2018, your Form 1098-T included an amount in Box 2 that represented the Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses (QTRE) which the College billed to your student account for the calendar (tax) year. Due to a change in federal law, beginning with tax year 2018, the College is required to instead report in Box 1 the amount of QTRE you paid during the year. Box 2 will be blank starting with the 2018 tax year.
Depending on your income (or your family’s income, if you are a dependent), whether you were considered full or half-time enrolled, and the amount of your qualified educational expenses for the year, you may be eligible for a federal education tax credit.
The dollar amounts reported on your Form 1098-T may assist you in completing IRS Form 8863 – the form used for calculating the education tax credits that a taxpayer may claim as part of your tax return.
You will receive your 1098-T via postal mail by the end of January 2019 for tax year 2018. The following are links for further information on 1098-T forms and tax credits:
- IRS website: http://www.irs.gov/
- IRS Publication 970 – Information on the Hope Scholarship Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf
- IRS Form 8863, Education Credits (Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits): http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8863.pdf
- IRS Telephone Assistance Hotline: 1-800-829-1040
Supplemental information that is not provided on the 1098-T is available for students through the College’s website via Student Online Services and may be obtained as follows:
- Go to my.herkimer.edu and log in. If you need assistance, please contact the HELP desk during regular business hours at 315-866-0300, extension 8555
2. Once in the MyHerkimer portal, please click on the link for Student Online Services in the top left corner.
3. From the Main Menu in Student Online Services, click on the link for Student Services.
4. Click Student Services again.
5. Click on the link for Tax Notification.
6. Enter a tax year and click submit.
7. The 1098-T form will be shown along with other supplemental information not shown on the form.
Providing your Social Security Number (SSN) for 1098-T Purposes
The Privacy Act Notice, Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires you to provide your correct SSN to persons who must file information returns with the IRS to report certain information. The IRS uses SSNs for identification purposes and to verify the accuracy of tax returns. To comply with the statute, if you haven’t previously provided your SSN to Herkimer College and are taking credit-bearing course work, please complete part 1 of Form W-9S, “Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification,” and return it to the Student Accounts Office at Herkimer College, via mail or by fax at 315-866-5497. The form is available at this link: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9s.pdf.
The SSN will be used only for the purpose of preparing form 1098-T. All other documentation printed by the College will use your student identification number (H#).