Student Testing, Advisement, Registration, Transition (START)
Begin your college career on the right foot – attend one of our upcoming START Days!
All first time, full-time, on-campus students are encouraged to attend a START Day. START Days include placement testing (unless waiver approved), meeting with an academic advisor to plan your first semester classes and orientation activities designed to assist with your academic transition. An optional math review session is offered one hour prior to testing and registration. At the end of the START Day, you’ll leave with your schedule of first semester classes, your college ID and the knowledge you’ll need to be successful as you begin your college career.
|START Day||Check-in||Testing & Registration Begins|
|Saturday, April 28||10:45 - 11:45 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, May 16||2:45 - 3:45 PM||4:00 PM|
Saturday, June 9*
|10:45 - 11:45 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, July 18||2:45 - 3:45 PM||4:00 PM|
|Wednesday, August 8||10:45 - 11:45 AM||12:00 PM|
|Wednesday, August 29||10:45 - 11:45 AM||12:00 PM|
* math review is not available on June 9th
You must bring a photo ID and your MyHerkimer login information.
Walk-ins are welcome, but reservations are preferred. Please reserve your seat here.
Can't attend a START Day? We offer walk-in placement testing Monday through Friday starting May 1st. Accepted students may check-in with the Admissions Office between 9 AM and 1 PM. Please remember your photo ID and MyHerkimer Login information.
Placement testing helps us place students in the correct courses to ensure their success and is required for all new full-time students, unless exempt, prior to registering for classes.
ACCUPLACER® computerized placement tests are administered for math, sentence skills and reading comprehension. These tests are untimed and require only the ability to use a keyboard and a mouse. The results of the tests are used in planning the most appropriate first-semester schedule of coursework for you.
For questions regarding placement testing, please call 315-574-4028.
The placement test requirement, or specific sections of the test, may be waived if you meet one of the following criteria for exemption:
- High school average of 88 or above
- Regents Exams: 80 or higher on Math and/or English Regents
- SAT: 500 minimum on individual sub-tests (reading, writing and math)
- ACT: Composite score of 21 or above
- Satisfactory ACCUPLACER test scores from the past two years
- Transfer credit: College level English and/or math, with a grade of C or above (includes concurrent credit/College Now).
- You should submit all official test results to the Admissions Office and all official college transcripts to the Registrar’s Office at least two weeks in advance to allow for determination of exemptions
* Exemptions will be determined at the time your reservation is processed. Students reserving their seat online will receive email confirmation of START date and possible exemptions.
Alternative Testing Accommodations
If you have a documented disability, you may be eligible for alternative placement testing accommodations. To receive such accommodations, you must request and send current documentation (includes IEP, 504 Plan, most recent psycho-educational evaluation and any applicable medical records) to the Services for Students with Disabilities Office. Please note that high school records are not automatically forwarded without your consent. All documentation must be received one month in advance to allow for review.
Students requesting alternative testing accommodations should contact the Services for Students with Disabilities office at 315-866-0300 x8331 in addition to scheduling a placement test reservation.
To prepare for the placement test you are encouraged to practice using the links below. Please note, Herkimer College administers the Elementary Algebra, Sentence Skills and Reading subtests of Accuplacer. On the MathBooster site click "Register Using College Code" then type Herkimer College's code 29fX7FTQ.