HerkCARES Emergency Grant Program
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund Grant
Note: Herkimer County Community College is no longer accepting applications for CARES Act grants.
In response to the COVID-19 crisis, Herkimer College converted all classes to remote learning during the Spring 2020 semester. The federal Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act authorized colleges to award emergency grants to students experiencing financial hardship for expenses directly related to the disruption of campus operations due to the coronavirus.
Eligible Herkimer College students included those who attended the Spring 2020 semester and met all of the following:
- Must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen.
- Must be a matriculated student, in good academic standing, and enrolled in credit-bearing courses for the spring 2020 semester.
- Must have a valid 2019/2020 or 2020/2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file.
- Course materials
- Health care
- Child care
As of November 18, 2020, Herkimer County Community College expended all of the grant funding from the CARES Act. The College is no longer accepting applications at this time.
If a student is still in financial need, they may be able to receive aid through the Herkimer County College Foundation Assists initiative. Grants through HCCF Assists are capped at $500 and can be applied toward necessities required to continue to pursue and complete their education at Herkimer.
Based upon the student’s request for funding, the College will make an initial HerkCARES grant payment based on the institution’s funding and methodology. Priority of these emergency grants will be awarded using the student’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC) calculated on the FAFSA, according to the following matrix:
Tier 1 EFC = 0
Tier 2 EFC = 1 – 5576
Tier 3 EFC > 5577
Tier 4 Enhanced Grants
After the priority deadline, funding will be reviewed and additional supplemental awards may be allocated based on the student’s needs and available remaining funds.
Additional information regarding the CARES Act:
- Herkimer County Community College has signed and returned to the Department of Education the Certification and Agreement and intends to use, no less than 50 percent of the funds received under Section 1 8004(a)(1) of the CARES Act to provide Emergency Financial Aid Grants to students.
- The institution received $761,037 for student aid from the Department of Education for Emergency Financial Aid Grants.
- The institution identified an estimated 1,015 potential students eligible to participate to receive Emergency Financial Aid Grants.
- Reporting on emergency financial aid grants to students is available here: CARES Act Grants to Students Reporting
For additional information