Effective immediately, all SUNY colleges and universities, including Herkimer College, are required to enforce sanctions for student violations of COVID-19 safety protocols, including immediate academic and housing suspension, as well as possible dismissal. The comprehensive policy is designed to help SUNY’s campuses protect the public health of students, faculty, staff, and community members, and ensure campuses can remain open during the pandemic.
The new policy sets a range of allowable sanctions for the infractions listed below. For the full SUNY policy, click here.
- Intentional Violations of COVID-Positive Students: For students who know that they have tested positive for COVID-19 or know they have had close contact to someone who has tested positive or been treated or is symptomatic for COVID-19, and then intentionally expose other students.
- Failure to Self-Isolate: For students who fail to self-isolate (because they are COVID-19 positive) as directed by their SUNY campus or the State or local Department of Health.
- Failure to Quarantine: For students who have been directed by the institution or the State or local Department of Health to complete a quarantine (potentially positive because of a close contact with someone who is positive) period, on or off campus, and then engage in any conduct that would violate such quarantine order.
- Prohibited On-Campus or Off-Campus Gathering (Hosts): For students who host an on-campus or off-campus gathering of any size, whether indoor or outdoor, that violates campus policy and/or exceeds the current limitation published by the SUNY campus, Executive Order, or the State or local Department of Health.
- Prohibited On-Campus or Off-Campus Gathering (Attendees): For students who attend a gathering of any size (but not as host), whether indoor or outdoor, that violates campus policy and/or exceeds the current limitation published by the SUNY campus, Executive Order, or the State or local Department of Health.
- Violations of Face Mask and Social Distancing Requirements: For students found to have committed repeated and/or intentional violations of face mask/covering or social distancing requirements of the campus, Executive Order, or the State or local Department of Health.
- Contact Tracing: For students who repeatedly fail to comply, whether intentionally or unintentionally.
- Failure to Comply with Campus Health Protocols: For students who fail to attend at least two scheduled appointments, without sufficient excuse, to obtain diagnostic or surveillance COVID-19 testing under the campus’s published protocol, or for students who fail to submit their daily health screening via the campus’s portal for at least three consecutive days, the college shall undertake disciplinary action to enforce compliance, including interim suspension, or administrative measures to electronically deactivate card access and restrict access to any buildings with the exception of access required to obtain health care services pursuant to campus policy.
This policy is part of SUNY’s three-pronged approach to address the COVID-19 crisis to keep campuses open including: SUNY-wide testing, uniform data transparency, and uniform enforcement. Please contact my office with any questions regarding this policy, by emailing email@example.com or calling 315-574-4009.
Dean of Students/Director of Athletics