Criminal Justice A.A.S.
Where classroom knowledge meets practical field experience.
The Criminal Justice A.A.S. program at Herkimer College is designed to prepare you for a successful career in law enforcement, criminal investigation, probation, parole, and similar fields. A three-credit internship experience is designed to integrate the theoretical knowledge learned in the classroom with the practical knowledge of working in the field.
As a graduate, you'll be prepared to:
- Effectively engage in proactive approaches to deter crime, and to investigate and apprehend those who break the law
- Participate in the field of corrections in the areas of detention, supervision, administration, and rehabilitation of incarcerated persons or those who obtain alternatives to incarceration
- Contribute to the criminal justice system as professionals in Federal and State courts
- Successfully perform operations necessary to ensure security in both the private and public sector
- Demonstrate an understanding of police ethics and how to resolve issues of an ethical nature
- Demonstrate an understanding of our correctional system, the concepts of probation and parole, the nature of punishment, and trends in corrections
View our program course requirements as published in the College Catalog: Criminal Justice A.A.S.
Below is a list of transfer agreements we have established (for our Criminal Justice A.A.S. Program) with four-year colleges & universities to provide a seamless transfer of credits.
Programs also offered online are denoted by asterisk.*
- Bellevue University*
- Cazenovia College
- SUNY Canton - Criminal Investigation
- SUNY Canton - Homeland Security
- SUNY Canton - Law Enforcement Leadership
- SUNY College of Technology at Delhi
Graduates find employment as police officers, criminal investigators, IRS agents, customs agents, park rangers, environmental conservation officers, state troopers, corrections officers, corrections counselors, bailiffs, court administrators, criminalists, alarm investigators, credit investigators, security detectives and loss prevention specialists.
The Criminal Justice A.A.S. program may also be completed entirely online through our Internet Academy. We offer the same level of care and service to online students as we do to on-campus students. All necessary services are accessible online, including registration, placement testing, bill payment, tutoring, book purchasing, and academic advisement. Learn more!
Cost & Financial Aid
Prior Felony Disclaimer
Enrollment of Individuals with Prior Criminal History
Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of this program. For more information, read the Policy Regarding Enrollment of Individuals with Prior Felony Conviction.