Online Medical Coding / Transcriptionist Certificate
A solid foundation for your future.
The Medical Coding/Transcriptionist Certificate program gives you the opportunity to gain the entry-level skills necessary to acquire and maintain a position relating to Medical Coding and/or Medical Transcription.
With a Herkimer College certificate in hand, you’ll be prepared to
- Identify and correctly apply ICD-9-CM codes based on the diagnoses presented
- Identify and correctly apply CPT codes based on the surgical procedures presented
- Recognize, understand, and spell a variety of medical terms
- Demonstrate proficiency in keying dictated tapes based on medical cases
- Distinguish different medical forms and show familiarity with content
- Communicate effectively
Support for advertising of this program was provided by the Federal Carl D. Perkins grant administered by the NY State Education Department.
View our program course requirements as published in the College Catalog: Medical Coding / Transcriptionist Certificate
This program affords students the ability to gain the competencies needed to successfully acquire and maintain employment in managed care systems, nursing homes, home care agencies, physicians’ offices, hospitals and insurance agencies. Many of the positions in this field are home-based.