Childhood Education A.S.
Your journey in Childhood Education starts here.
Do you want to become an elementary school teacher? The Childhood Education program at Herkimer College is designed for students interested in teaching Pre-K through Grade 6. Upon graduation, you'll be prepared for transfer to a four-year institution by completing general education coursework, including courses in your chosen area of concentration: English, History/Social Studies, Biology, Chemistry or Math.
As a successful graduate you'll be able to:
- Identify and implement a prepared lesson
- Use effective classroom management techniques and pedagogy
- Build a skill set necessary for seamless entrance into the next level of study for educators
Gianna Netti loves coming up with creative ways to teach her content and engage students in learning in new and exciting ways. As a 6th grade teacher at Little Falls Middle School, she plans and delivers standards-based science lessons, while assessing student learning and differentiating instruction based on the individual needs of her students.
But her role as a teacher doesn’t stop there, Netti explains. “I also love being a source of support and care for my students as they begin to navigate middle school.”
Netti describes Herkimer as initiating her love of education by allowing her to observe actual schools and classrooms right away. “That experience in the field was inspiring,” Netti recalls.
“I cannot say enough about the knowledgeable and dedicated professors in the Childhood Education program,” Netti says. “Their instruction provided me with the skills and understandings necessary to be successful throughout college and ultimately in my career as an educator.”
View our program course requirements as published in the College Catalog: Childhood Education A.S.
Below is a list of transfer agreements we have established (for our Childhood Education A.S. Program) with four-year colleges & universities to provide a seamless transfer of credits.
Programs also offered online are denoted by asterisk.*
- Cazenovia College
- College of Saint Rose Child/Special Ed Social Stud
- College of Saint Rose Childhood Ed English
- College of Saint Rose Childhood Ed General Science
- College of Saint Rose Childhood Ed Math
- College of Saint Rose Childhood Ed Social Studies
- College of Saint Rose Childhood/Special Ed Biology
- College of Saint Rose Childhood/Special Ed English
- College of Saint Rose Childhood/Special Ed Math
- College of Saint Rose Childhood/Special Ed Science
- St. John Fisher College
- SUNY Buffalo State
- SUNY Cortland
- SUNY Potsdam
Cost & Financial Aid
Prior Felony Disclaimer
Enrollment of Individuals with Prior Criminal History
Students who have previously been convicted of a felony are advised that their prior criminal history may impede their ability to complete the requirements of this program. For more information, read the Policy Regarding Enrollment of Individuals with Prior Felony Conviction.