This notice has been updated. Please consult Herkimer College's Coronavirus Updates page for the most up-to-date information.
Dear Campus Community,
We continue to closely monitor the status of the 2019 novel coronavirus (COVID-19), a respiratory tract illness that presents flu-like symptoms and is highly contagious.
Based on current information, the risk to New York residents continues to be considered low. We encourage the CDC’s recommendation to follow everyday preventive measures:
- Stay home when you are sick with respiratory disease symptoms. At the present time, these symptoms are more likely due to influenza or other respiratory viruses than to COVID-19-related virus.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw it in the trash can.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
- Routinely clean frequently touched surfaces and objects
Routine use of these measures by individuals and their families will increase community resilience and readiness for responding to an outbreak.
Herkimer College is in close communication with the State University of New York and will continue to monitor the situation and take all necessary steps to keep our campus community informed and safe.
For details and the latest updates, visit the CDC website.
Donald M. Dutcher ‘90
Dean of Students/Director of Athletics