Do you have an interest in criminal justice? Are you looking to transition into a new line of work in law enforcement? Consider working at Herkimer College as a Campus Peace Officer!
Our Campus Safety Office is a fully functioning law enforcement department, covering about 500 acres of grounds. As the primary law enforcement agency for the campus proper, the officers are an integral part of the campus community, helping to ensure and uphold the safety of our students, faculty, and staff.
The Herkimer County Department of Personnel will be conducting the campus safety officer civil service exam on Saturday, August 7. Exam applications must be received by the office or postmarked by Friday, June 18.
There is also a non-refundable $15 filing fee, made payable to the Herkimer County Treasury. The department only accepts money orders or exact cash if paying in person. Personal checks are not accepted as a form of payment.
- Candidates must be legal residents of Herkimer County or one of its contiguous counties (Fulton, Hamilton, Lewis, Montgomery, Oneida, Otsego, St. Lawrence) for at least 30 days immediately preceding the date of the written test.
- Graduation from a standard senior high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma, and ONE of the following:
- An Associates Degree in Criminal Justice or a related field from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university;
- Has successfully completed 60 semester credit hours. You must submit a course listing with your application showing that you meet this requirement;
- Two years of full-time experience as a Police Officer pursuant to Section 58 of NYS Civil Service Law;
- Two years’ experience as a Peace Officer pursuant to NYS Criminal Procedure Law Section 2.10 (78);
- Four years’ experience as a part-time competitive or non-competitive class Police Officer