This is an open letter to anyone thinking of enrolling in one or more Internet Academy courses.
We want you to be successful in your online course(s)! After many years following the progress of students in these courses, here are some of our most important findings:
- Internet courses are not for everyone. They are a lot of work! For each 3-credit course during a full term, on average, you will be required to logon at least three times per week for at least two hours each time. The most successful students log on more frequently. Your professor will require on-time posting of discussions and assignments. Remember, Herkimer College online courses are not self-paced and mini semester courses require more participation more often.
- Good time-management skills are essential to your success. There is no fixed schedule of classes you must attend, but while this flexibility can be very convenient, it also puts added responsibility on the student for regular logons/participation and completion of assignments. We have observed that students who allow themselves to fall behind rarely manage to catch up.
- All successful students have their own computer! Herkimer College Internet Academy courses are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have your own computer, you can access your course(s) when it is most convenient to you. If you must depend on the use of someone else’s computer, you are more likely to fall behind.
- All of our online courses ‘go live’ several days prior to the first day of classes. You should access the course as soon as possible and begin working through the initial activities. Students who are late to enter an online course are less likely to be successful.
So, are you ready for the challenge? Enroll in an Internet Academy course by following three easy steps:
- Apply to Herkimer College from here: Apply Now
- Register for the course at Herkimer College. You may register online using Student Online Services: https://onlineservices.herkimer.edu/pls/prod/twbkwbis.P_WWWLogin
- Determine your username/password here and access to your course(s) at the online learning site: https://herkimer.open.suny.edu
If you have any questions or concerns regarding your decision to take courses online, please contact us at 315-574-4006 or 1-844-GO-4-HERK College ext. 8742, or e-mail the Internet Academy at email@example.com.
Linda Lamb, Associate Dean of Academic Affairs