Applying for Financial Aid
To be considered for all federal, state, and campus-based financial aid programs, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year. To receive priority consideration for need-based aid programs, file your FAFSA as early as possible for the upcoming fall semester.
School Codes: FAFSA: 004788 | TAP: 2254
Herkimer College awards two types of campus-based aid programs: Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) and the Federal Work Study (FWS) program. These programs are need-based and funds are limited. Late applications may only be eligible for Pell, TAP, and Federal Direct Loans.
Students who expect to receive financial aid to pay their bill must file the FAFSA no later than 60 days prior to the start of classes. Late filers will be responsible for tuition, fees, books, and other expenses until the FAFSA has been processed.
Steps to apply
1. Apply to Herkimer College and receive acceptance from the Admissions Office. In the meantime, check out these resources!
2. File the FAFSA. Here’s what you will need:
- Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID)
- Filed federal tax returns
- Social security numbers and dates of birth
- Bank statements and investment account statements
- Untaxed income information (child support, Worker's Compensation, etc.)
Did you know? You can save time and ensure accuracy by directly populating income for the FAFSA using The IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
3. Apply for State Aid (NYS residents only)
Full Time Students
Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
- Complete the TAP right from the confirmation page of the online FAFSA. Select the link "File your state application now." Complete and submit the application. (Your FSA ID will act as your signature.)
- If you did not file your TAP application when you filed your FAFSA online, you can complete your application online (you will need to establish a TAP User ID and PIN).
- Once processed, you will receive TAP/State Scholarship Award Notice. If additional information is needed to process your TAP award, you will receive a Request for Information Form from Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC). Be sure to respond to this request as soon as possible.
Part Time Students
Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)
- Complete the APTS application. Students attending 3 to 11 credit hours may be eligible, however, funding is limited. Awards vary up to the cost of tuition and are determined by family income.
- Return the APTS application to the Financial Aid Office. You will also need a copy of your and/or your parents’ NYS Income Tax Return.
- APTS will be awarded 1 to 2 weeks before classes begin. They may not be included in your original award letter.
- To be eligible, students must be attending 6 to 11 credit hours, have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and have earned at least 12 credit hours in the previous two semesters at Herkimer College. Award amounts will be a percentage of the full TAP award depending on the number of credits the student is registered for.
- From the confirmation page of the online FAFSA application, select the link "File your state application now." Complete and submit the application. (Your FSA ID will act as your signature)
- If you did not file your TAP application at the time you filed your FAFSA online, you can complete your TAP application online at http://www.tapweb.org/totw/. First time users will be required to establish a TAP User ID and PIN. (Parents are not required to establish a TAP User ID and PIN).
Non-New York State residents are encouraged to apply for any available state aid as well as scholarships from the state they reside in.
4. Respond on time!
Submit all required documents in a timely manner. Be advised that The Department of Education selects approximately 30% of all FAFSA applications to be verified with further documentation.
5. Financial Aid Award Notices.
Once notified, you will accept or deny the awards/loans through MyHerkimer. Amounts may be adjusted based on additional information, revised regulations or student status changes.
Financial Aid Timeline
October - The Free Application for Federal Student Aid or FAFSA is available on October 1st. Make sure you register for your FSA ID from the Department of Education as this will serve as your electronic signature on the application.
November - Research scholarship opportunities that can help reduce college expenses.
January - Herkimer College starts processing FAFSA applications. You will be notified via mail and email if additional documentation is required to complete the processing of your awards.
April - When all documents have been submitted and reviewed, you may view and print your financial aid award letter. You may accept student loans, if needed, to help pay the college bill.
June - The college bill will be mailed to you. This bill will have tuition and fees and, if applicable, housing and meal plan charges on it as well as any processed financial aid.
July - To ensure that your class schedule is retained, the college bill must be paid in full by the due date.