Apply for Financial Aid
- Create a FSA ID (Federal Student Aid Identification) on https://studentaid.gov/fsa-id/create-account/launch
- You will need the FSA ID for both student and parent (if student is under 24).
- Keep in mind the student’s information goes on the Student’s FSA ID such as email, phone, social security number, date of birth. The Parent’s FSA ID will match the parent’s information such as email, phone, social security number, date of birth.
- Do not use a temporary email address (such as a high school email address).
- Complete the FAFSA on https://studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa.
- The Fall of 2022 will use the 2022/2023 FAFSA.
- The FAFSA must be completed for each academic year.
- Complete the TAP application on www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw/.
- Only applicable for New York students: who live in New York state and are going to a New York college.
School Codes: FAFSA: 004788 | TAP: 2254
Our priority deadline is June 1, 2022 for the 2022/2023 FAFSA. You may still complete the FAFSA after the deadline. This deadline is so everything can be completed before our bills are mailed out for the Fall semester. Students who filed before June 1 will also receive priority of our campus-based aid such as Federal Work Study and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG). Both are limited funds.- YouTube
Financial Aid for Part-Time Students
Yes, students can get financial aid for attending part time. This will depend on what type of financial aid you are eligible for and how many credits you plan to enroll in. Please notify our office of your intent to attend part time and we will be happy let you know what kind of financial aid you are eligible for. You must still complete the FAFSA and the TAP application. Below are the NYS TAP programs for part-time students.
Aid for Part-Time Study (APTS)
- Complete the APTS application, found on our forms page.
- Students attending 3 to 11 credit hours may be eligible, however, funding is limited. Awards vary up to the cost of tuition and are determined by family income.
- Return the APTS application to the Financial Aid Office. You will also need a copy of your and/or your parents’ NYS Income Tax Return.
- APTS will be awarded 1 to 2 weeks before classes begin. They may not be included in your original award letter.
- To be eligible, students must be attending 6 to 11 credit hours, have a minimum GPA of 2.0 and have earned at least 12 credit hours in the previous two semesters at Herkimer College. Award amounts will be a percentage of the full TAP award depending on the number of credits the student is registered for.
- From the confirmation page of the online FAFSA application, select the link "File your state application now." Complete and submit the application. (Your FSA ID will act as your signature)
- If you did not file your TAP application at the time you filed your FAFSA online, you can complete your TAP application online at www.tap.hesc.ny.gov/totw/. First time users will be required to establish a TAP User ID and PIN. (Parents are not required to establish a TAP User ID and PIN).
Non-New York State residents are encouraged to apply for any available state aid as well as scholarships from the state they reside in.
What to expect next
After your have filed your FAFSA and TAP application be on the look out for your Financial Aid Summary letter or a letter from us asking for additional information.
Be sure to respond quickly, as it takes time to process paperwork. If you have questions about your documentation that has been received, you can check your online services account under Financial Aid – Eligibility.