• The Counseling Center, located in CA 130, provides confidential and free services to HC students. Services include Individual Counseling, Community Referrals and Group Support. These groups offer students a chance to meet with others who share their concerns. Groups that have been offered include Health & Wellness and Parent Support Groups. The Counseling Center also offers Mental Health and Wellness, Suicide Prevention and Alcohol Intervention Trainings for students.

    The Center is open from Monday – Friday 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM

  • When applying for on-campus housing, there is a Residence Life and Housing Contract Form. Near the end of the form there is a question that asks: “Do you have any medical conditions that would necessitate special housing arrangements?” This is followed by: “If yes, documentation from a licensed medical professional is required and must be sent with this contract.” Residence Life and Housing phone number: 315 574-4016.

    • If a student has evening classes and is requesting alternative testing accommodations when the ASO is not open, the instructor determines whether the student will take the test earlier during the day of the test, or the next day. For example, if a class is at 6:00 PM on a Monday, the instructor may make the decision that you take the test at 2:00 PM on Monday, or the instructor may make the decision that you take the test on Tuesday.
    • Please make these testing arrangements as early as possible because the ASO staff needs time to communicate with your instructor.
    • First, you must provide appropriate documentation pertaining to a disability to the ASO. This needs to be done in a timely manner.


    • Online tutoring is available through the Academic Support Center.


    • Online tests usually have time extensions built into them. For example, you may have twenty-four hours to complete a test. Each instructor will give these details in their course syllabus. Please read the syllabus carefully and thoroughly. Ask your instructor to clarify or explain the syllabus if necessary.
  • Tutoring services are available to all Herkimer students through the Academic Support Center, located on the first level of the Ronald F. Williams Library Building. Online tutoring is also available in addition to the traditional face to face tutoring. Stop by in person or call 315 866-0300 Ext. 8275 for information. All of these services are completely free to Herkimer students.

  • Make an appointment with the Coordinator of Services for Students with Disabilities at 315 866-0300 Ext. 8331. Colleges are not required to provide diagnostic testing but can provide information on obtaining an evaluation from a professional. You can also email: aso@herkimer.edu

    • Contact ACCES-VR, Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation
    •  Contact the Coordinator of Accessibility Services at Herkimer College: nettika@herkimer.edu or Ext.8331
  • No, you do not have to use services at the post-secondary level if you choose. However, if you are requesting an academic adjustment or accommodation, you must disclose a disability in a timely manner to the Coordinator of Accessibility Services and follow ASO procedures. The ASO Office is dedicated to making sure that you have the best opportunity to achieve success in your academic life, but you will need to be an active partner in the journey. The choice to utilize services - or not - is yours and yours alone.

  • ACCES-VR, Adult Career and Continuing Education Services – Vocational Rehabilitation is an office within the New York State Education Department that serves individuals with disabilities. Certain services may be available if you are determined to be eligible. These services take time to initiate so check with ACCES-VR well in advance of each semester. Visit ACCESS-VR’s site at: http://www.acces.nysed.gov./vr/

  • Those who are legally blind are served by the New York State Commission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped (CBVH). The CBVH provides vocational rehabilitation and other services to legally blind New York State residents. Go to: https://nyconnects.ny.gov/providers/commission-for-the-blind-and-visually-handicapped

  • Yes, Service Animals are allowed on all the campus grounds, Emotional Support Animals however are only allowed in the dorms.

    Students who will be living at campus housing and who anticipate having a service animal on campus should contact the Coordinator of Accessibility Services at least one month in advance of moving into campus housing.

    Students with Service Animals are not required to register with the Accessibility Services Office. However, it is requested.

    • An Emotional Support Animal is an animal that provides emotional support which alleviates one or more identified symptoms or effects of a person’s disability and/or provides emotional support to persons with disabilities who have a disability-related need for support.


    • Service Animals are working animals, not pets. The work or task a dog has been trained to provide must be directly related to the person’s disability. Examples of such work or tasks include guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling a wheelchair, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure, reminding a person with mental illness to take prescribed medications, calming a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) during an anxiety attack, or performing other duties