IRS Form 1098-T Information and Education Tax Credits
Students' IRS Forms 1098T are available by the end of January each year for the previous calendar year from Heartland ECSI.
They can be retrieved at ECSI Tax Documents, the servicer for Herkimer College’s tax credit reporting.
From there, you can read about the Education Tax Credits for which you may be eligible when you file your federal income taxes. You may also view and reprint your personal IRS form 1098T and supplementary financial information that are sent to you by January 31 each year. These forms will assist you in preparing your federal income tax return.
Herkimer College is unable to provide you with individual tax advice. If you have questions, please seek the counsel of an informed tax preparer or adviser.
Want more information on 1098-T forms and tax credits? Check out these helpful resources:
- IRS website
- IRS Publication 970 – Information on the Hope Scholarship Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit
- IRS Form 8863, Education Credits (Hope and Lifetime Learning Credits)
- 1098T and CARES Funds See Question 3
- IRS Telephone Assistance Hotline: 1(800) 829-1040
Supplemental information is also available on the College’s website via Student Online Services.
- Log in to my.herkimer.edu. If you need assistance, contact the IT HELP desk during regular business hours at (315) 866-0300 x8555.
- Once in the portal, click the link for Student Online Services in the top left corner.
- From the Main Menu in Student Online Services, click link for Student Services.
- Click Student Services again.
- Click on the link for Tax Notification.
- Enter a tax year and click submit.
- The 1098-T form will be shown along with other supplemental information not shown on the form.
Providing Your Social Security Number (SSN) for 1098-T Purposes
The Privacy Act Notice, Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires you to provide your correct SSN to persons who must file information returns with the IRS to report certain information. The IRS uses SSNs for identification purposes and to verify the accuracy of tax returns. To comply with the statute, if you have not previously provided your SSN to Herkimer College and are taking credit-bearing course work, please complete part 1 of Form W-9S, “Request for Student’s or Borrower’s Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification,” and return it to the Student Accounts Office at Herkimer College, via mail or by fax at (315) 866-5497.
The SSN will be used only for the purpose of preparing form 1098-T. All other documentation printed by Herkimer College will use your student identification number.