Certificate of Residence

Required for NYS Residents 

NYS residents are required to provide a Certificate of Residence from their home county to receive the reduced rate of tuition. This is an annual requirement - they are valid for one year from the date issued. For example, if you submit a Certificate of Residence in the fall semester, it will be valid for the fall, winter, spring, and summer terms. The following fall, you will be required to obtain and submit a new Certificate of Residence. If your bill lists a separate charge for Certif of Residence Required, you must submit the certificate to have the charge removed.

Why Do You Need It?

The New York State Education Law requires that all students file proof of residence upon enrollment in a community college. A Certificate of Residence allows Herkimer College to bill your home county for part of your tuition costs. Failure to file this form will result in a higher rate of tuition being charged.

Where Do You Get It?

You can obtain a Certificate of Residence from the county where you permanently reside. You must apply to your county’s Chief Fiscal Officer (in most cases, it is the County Treasurer’s Office).

When Do You Get It?

No sooner than 60 days prior to the start of classes, and no later than 30 days after the start of classes. NY State Counties are only required to issue and honor Certificates of Residence dated within this time frame. After the first 30 days of classes, most counties will no longer issue Certificates of Residence, and payment for the Certif of Residence Required charge then becomes the student’s responsibility.

*Late certificates will be processed by our office, but your account will only be reduced if your county accepts our billing.

Where Do You Submit it?

Once you have received the official Certificate of Residence from your county, you can submit it to the Student Accounts Office. You may:

  • Drop it off in person
  • Fax it to (315) 866-5497
  • Email it to bursar@herkimer.edu
  • Mail to:
    Student Accounts Office
    100 Reservoir Road
    Herkimer, NY 13350

What If You Do Not Have The Certificate By The Due Date On The Bill?

The NYS Education Law states that you have 30 days from the start of classes to get a Certificate from your county. Therefore, if you do not have it by the due date, that is okay. You do not need to pay this charge up front and may subtract the Certif of Residence Required charge from your bill prior to making payment. We will remove that charge once we receive your Certificate.

What If You Are a Permanent Herkimer County Resident?

Students who are residents of Herkimer County only need to fill out the Affidavit for Certificate of Residence, have their signature notarized, and return it to the Student Accounts Office (they do not need to go to the Herkimer County Treasurer’s Office).

Am I Eligible for a Certificate of Residence?

To qualify for a Certificate of Residence, you must have lived in New York State for the past 12 months. Residency is verified by the county(ies) in which you have lived for the six months prior to attending college. If you have lived in more than one state county during those six months, a Certificate of Residence will be required from each of those counties.

The legal residence of a college student is presumed to be the residence of the parent, guardian, or any other permanent residence prior to the student's enrollment. Residence is not gained or lost by attending college, and such attendance does not change a student's legal residence. However, a married student, or one who is working full-time in Herkimer County or New York State for over one year may establish his or her own residence.

Providing Herkimer College with proof of residency is an important step in your registration process. Please call the Student Accounts Office at (315) 574-4018 if you have any questions about the proper way to complete this requirement.