Apply » Billing » Veterans and Military Members

Veterans and Military Members

Herkimer College recognizes and thanks our military veterans, active duty military members, and their families for their contributions and sacrifices for our country and community.  We strive to provide the best possible service to this unique segment of our student population and to insure that students are properly certified to receive benefits through the Montgomery GI Bill and the military branch’s tuition assistance programs.


Veterans eligible for VA educational benefits should first contact our Veteran’s Benefits Coordinator, John Lasher, to complete a Veterans Data Sheet.  Our Benefits Coordinator will certify your enrollment through the Veterans Administration website.  For further information on the veterans benefits certification, please visit:
Veterans Benefits at Herkimer College

All veterans matriculated in a degree program are strongly encouraged to apply for all other federal and state financial aid programs by completing the FAFSA at

Students deemed eligible for veteran’s benefits should contact the Assistant Bursar, Aaron Alford, to discuss their student bill.  The Student Accounts Office will defer payment of tuition and fees based upon your eligibility for benefits.  It is understood that there is often a delay between the due date of student bills and receipt of veteran’s benefits, and Herkimer College will coordinate a payment plan with students in anticipation of these benefits.

For detailed information regarding VA Educational Benefits, please visit:

Active Duty Military Members

Military members and their family members who are utilizing tuition assistance through their branch of the service are responsible to submit all necessary information through their branch’s education benefits system to establish their benefit. Prior to enrolling, all service members should speak with their Education Service Officer (ESO) or counselor within the military service.  If using tuition assistance, please notify the Assistant Bursar, Aaron Alford in the Student Accounts Office.  The Student Accounts Office will certify your enrollment and submit an invoice to your tuition assistance plan.  Tuition will be deferred pending receipt of payment from your tuition assistance plan. 

Please contact Mr. Alford if you have any questions regarding your student account, tuition assistance, or any other concerns regarding your experience at Herkimer College.  Below are some important contacts for you to reference should you need assistance with advisement, federal and state financial aid, academic support services, career counseling, or personal counseling.

All military members attending Herkimer College are strongly encouraged to complete the FAFSA at to determine if they are eligible for any federal and/or state education grants or loans, if needed.


Return of Tuition Assistance: Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded.

To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, Herkimer County Community College will return any unearned TA funds on a prorate basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military Service branch.

Instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation,the College will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

The Tuition Assistance Refund Schedules are based upon the length of the class(es) you are enrolled in. Please refer to the following charts:


Day 1-3

Day 4


Day 5 76%
Day 6 71%
Day 7 67%
Day 8 62%
Day 9 57%
Day 10 52%
Day 11 48%
Day 12 43%
Day 13-end 0%


Day 1-7 100%
Day 8 77%
Day 9 74%
Day 10 71%
Day 11 69%
Day 12 66%
Day 13 63%
Day 14 60%
Day 15 57%
Day 16 54%
Day 17 51%
Day 18 49%
Day 19 46%
Day 20 43%
Day 21 40%
Day 22 100%


Before or during weeks 1 & 2 100%
During weeks 3-4 90%
During weeks 5-6 75%
During weeks 7-8 50%
During week 9 40%
During weeks 10-15  0%

Important Contacts for Veterans and Military Members

VA Certifying Officer / Registrar - John Lasher

DOD Tuition Assistance / Student Accounts - Aaron Alford
Military members should contact Aaron Alford, Assistant Bursar, in the Student Accounts Office for assistance with their Department of Defense Tuition Assistance. Mr. Alford can assist you to make sure that you receive your Tuition Assistance, and help you connect with all support offices on campus, including the Financial Aid Office, Academic Advisement, Academic Support Center, Career and Personal Counseling.

Academic Advisement - Katherine Scanlon

Financial Aid Office - Patricia Miller
Herkimer College's Financial Aid Office has Financial Aid assistants available for all students for walk in service (no appointment necessary), and who can assist by telephone and email. Financial Aid Assistants can:

  • Assist students in the completion of their FAFSA to determine eligibility for federal and state financial aid (including federal student loans)
  • Advise students and parents as to the availability of student aid, types of student aid, processing procedures and other consumer information as it relates to student aid.
  • Perform needs analysis and packaging of student aid.

For detailed information on the financial aid application process, please visit:

Academic Support Center / Students with Disabilities - Leslie Cornish

Career Counseling for Students and Alumni

Personal Counseling