The scientific knowledge, skills, and values you need to thrive.
Herkimer College’s Science A.S. program prepares students for transfer to four-year college and university science programs. The program mirrors the first two years of a four-year science degree program. Class sizes are small, so students enjoy a more personal academic experience. While designed for transfer, some graduates secure employment in positions that do not require advanced degrees.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Demonstrate analytical abilities in organizing, data gathering, synthesizing, and evaluating
- Demonstrate an ability to use the scientific process to solve problems
- Demonstrate an understanding of value systems
- Write a scientific research paper
- Discuss and evaluate current science issues such as health, medical, environmental, and biotechnological problems
David Rampe has put his education to good use. An author and contributor to over 80 publications as well as co-inventor on several drug patents, he cites his biggest career accomplishment as helping unravel how pharmaceutical drugs can produce arrhythmias in the heart.
Rampe says that his time at Herkimer was key in building his confidence to continue on to a four-year institution. “Coming from a small, rural school… I felt insecure,” Rampe recalls. “But at Herkimer the teachers were good; I got my feet wet and started taking courses like physics and chemistry.”
He continued at Buffalo receiving his Ph.D. from the Department of Biochemical Pharmacology followed by a post-doctoral fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine.
“I still remember Herkimer,” Rampe stresses, “Herkimer gave me the preparation I needed to succeed.”
View our program course requirements as published in the College Catalog: Science A.S.
Below is a list of transfer agreements we have established (for our Science A.S. Program) with four-year colleges & universities to provide a seamless transfer of credits.
Programs also offered online are denoted by asterisk.*
- Cazenovia College
- SUNY Buffalo State - Biology
- SUNY Buffalo State - Chemistry
- SUNY Buffalo State - Earth Science
- SUNY Buffalo State - Electrical Engineering Tech
- SUNY Buffalo State - Forensic Chemistry
- SUNY Buffalo State - Mechanical Engineering Tech
- SUNY Buffalo State - Physics
- SUNY Canton
- SUNY Cobleskill - Biotechnology
- SUNY ESF
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute
- SUNY Potsdam
- The College of Saint Rose
- University at Buffalo - Pharmacy