The scientific knowledge, skills and values you need.
As a graduate of the Science program, you'll acquire the knowledge, skills and values needed to prepare you for transfer to upper-division programs, and to become a scientifically literate citizen.
Graduates are prepared to:
- Demonstrate analytical abilities in organizing, data gathering, synthesizing and evaluating
- Demonstrate an ability to use the scientific process to solve problems
- Demonstrate an understanding of value systems
- Write a scientific research paper
- Discuss and evaluate current science issues such as health, medical, environmental and biotechnology problems
David Rampe has put his education to good use. An author and contributor to over 80 publications as well as co-inventor on several drug patents, he cites his biggest career accomplishment as helping unravel how pharmaceutical drugs can produce arrhythmias in the heart.
Rampe says that his time at Herkimer was key in building his confidence to continue on to a four-year institution. “Coming from a small, rural school… I felt insecure,” Rampe recalls. “But at Herkimer the teachers were good; I got my feet wet and started taking courses like physics and chemistry.”
He continued at Buffalo receiving his Ph.D. from the Department of Biochemical Pharmacology followed by a post-doctoral fellowship at Baylor College of Medicine.
“I still remember Herkimer,” Rampe stresses, “Herkimer gave me the preparation I needed to succeed.”
Below is a list of transfer agreements we have established (for our Science A.S. Program) with four-year colleges & universities to provide a seamless transfer of credits.
Programs also offered online are denoted by asterisk.*
- Cazenovia College
- Forensic Science Transfer guide
- Pharmacy Transfer guide
- Physical Therapy Transfer Guide
- Physician Assistant Transfer Guide
- Pre-Medicine Transfer Guide
- Sage College of Albany
- SUNY Buffalo State - Biology
- SUNY Buffalo State - Chemistry
- SUNY Buffalo State - Earth Science
- SUNY Buffalo State - Electrical Engineering Tech
- SUNY Buffalo State - Forensic Chemistry
- SUNY Buffalo State - Mechanical Engineering Tech
- SUNY Buffalo State - Physics
- SUNY Canton
- SUNY Cobleskill - Biotechnology
- SUNY Cobleskill - Environmental and Energy Tech
- SUNY ESF
- SUNY Plattsburgh - Biology
- SUNY Plattsburgh - Chemistry BA
- SUNY Plattsburgh - Chemistry BS
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute
- SUNY Potsdam
- SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Syracuse University
- The College of Saint Rose
- University at Buffalo - Pharmacy
View our program course requirements as published in the College Catalog: Science A.S.